Cross country season will start soon!
AOC Cross Country FAQs
Cross Country is an individual and a team sport where athletes run a fixed distance, typically on grass or trails. Cross Country is well suited for kids new to track and experienced athletes as well.
- What ages participate in AOC Cross Country? It is a developmental program with our main focus from ages 13 to 14 on down through 8-year-olds, although we have had some high school age runners as well.
- Do different age groups run different races? The races are run by age group and gender as shown in the chart below.
- When does registration begin? Registration opens in early August.
- How much does it cost? $95 per athlete
- When does practice start and end? Practice will start in late August and the Cross Country season ends in late November.
- When are practices? Practices are 3 to 4 times each week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (if there is no meet on Saturday). Practice starts at 6:00 pm on weekdays and at 9:30 am on Saturdays.
- When are cross country meets? Meets are usually Saturday mornings starting in mid September. AOC will also host a meet on one Sunday in October
- How long are the races? Events contested are based on age. (Boys and Girls are scored separately.)
- 6 to 8 Year Old: 2K (1.24 miles)
- 9 to 10 Year Old: 3K (1.86 miles)
- 11 to 12 Year Old: 3K (1.86 miles)
- 13 to 14 Year Old: 4K (2.5 miles)
- 5 to 18 Year Old: 5K (3.1 miles)