Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I register my child? Registration posts online on our website www.ambleroc.org prior to the beginning of each season. Be sure to check back about a month before the season starts to register your child.
- How old are club members? 8 to 18 years old. Age is determined by birth year. For example, all kids born in 2010 will compete together, no matter the child’s actual age on the date of competition.
- How much do uniforms cost? $80 to $95.00 per child depending on the type of uniform
- How does the team communicate? AOC uses Team Snap for communication and for practice and meet schedules
- Does my child need to belong to AAU or USATF? For most seasons, a current USATF or AAU membership is needed. Which one is determined at the beginning of the year.
- What is the club’s code on AAU and USATF? The AOC AAU Team Code is WYDBAY. The AOC USATF Team Code is 08-0110.
- Where do we practice? The track behind Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School. (See map.)
- Are practices mandatory? Practices and meets are voluntary, but for your child to get better, they should attend as many as possible.
- What does my child need to wear to practice? Athletes should wear comfortable, non-restrictive clothing to practice. The following attire is recommended/required for practice based upon weather conditions:
- Shorts and T-shirts
- Sneakers specifically designed for running and in good condition should be used to prevent injury
- Sweatpants for warm ups and drills at every practice. Sweatshirts are strongly
- Running spikes are used in a limited way during practice for some athletes.
- No headphones or inappropriate clothing may be worn at practice.
AOC Cross Country
Cross Country is an individual and a team sport where athletes run a fixed distance, typically on grass or trails. Cross Country is well suited for kids new to track and experienced athletes as well.
- What ages participate in AOC Cross Country? It is a developmental program with our main focus from ages 13 to 14 on down through 8-year-olds, although we have had some high school age runners as well.
- Do different age groups run different races? The races are run by age group and gender as shown in the chart below.
- When does registration begin? Registration opens in early August.
- How much does it cost? $95 per athlete
- When does practice start and end? Practice will start in late August and the Cross Country season ends in late November.
- When are practices? Practices are 3 to 4 times each week on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (if there is no meet on Saturday). Practice starts at 6:00 pm on weekdays and at 9:30 am on Saturdays.
- When are cross country meets? Meets are usually Saturday mornings starting in mid September. AOC will also host a meet on one Sunday in October
- How long are the races? Events contested are based on age. (Boys and Girls are scored separately.)
- 6 to 8 Year Old: 2K (1.24 miles)
- 9 to 10 Year Old: 3K (1.86 miles)
- 11 to 12 Year Old: 3K (1.86 miles)
- 13 to 14 Year Old: 4K (2.5 miles)
- 5 to 18 Year Old: 5K (3.1 miles)
AOC Winter (Indoor)
Indoor Track is moderately competitive.
- What are the events available for athletes who participate in winter track? The track and field events that are normally practiced are: 55, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000, Racewalk, hurdles, high jump, long jump, shot put. Field event practice is weather dependent.
- How old are club members? Athletes are 9 to 18 years old (age is determined by birth year).
- How much does Winter (Indoor) Season cost? $130 per athlete
- How do we register for Winter (Indoor) Season? Registration for the Indoor/Winter session will start about mid-November on our website www.ambleroc.org. There will be a limit to the number of athletes we will take for the winter (approximately 50 athletes).
- Where does AOC practice in the winter? TBD. Note: Some practices could be outside if weather conditions permit
- When are practices? Practice will start in early December and end in mid-March. Practice is usually 3 times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Tentative times of practices are 7:00 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, and Saturdays at noon. Practice is usually 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Does our child need to belong to AAU or USATF? Current USATF or AAU membership is needed and possibly both will be needed.
AOC Spring Development Program
- What events are available for members of AOC? Members are coached for the following events: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000, Racewalk, hurdles, high jump, long jump, and shot put are normally practiced. Field event practice is weather dependent.
- Does my child need experience to join AOC’s Spring Program? Spring Track is well suited for kids new to track and experienced athletes as well.
- When are practices? Practice will start about Mid-March and end the last week of May. There are practices three times a week: Monday and Thursday from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm, and Saturday from 9:30 am to 11:00 am.
- How much does the Spring program cost? $210 for the 1st child and $65 each for the second and third child.
- How do I register my child for AOC’s Spring Program? Registration opens in mid-February, and there will be a limit to the number of athletes we will take for the spring. Athletes that signed up for the spring team may register for the summer team for a cost of $35.00 per athlete. The deadline for this signup is April 30 of each calendar year.
- Is it ok if my child also participates in their school track program? We do have some athletes that run both for their school and AOC, since the practices do not generally overlap.
- Does my child need to have membership to AAU or USATF? Current USATF or AAU membership is needed, and we will determine which one at the beginning of each year.
AOC Summer Competition Program
Our Summer Track Competition Program is best for athletes who have some prior experience with track. This experience can be the Spring Development Program.
- What events are practiced during the Summer Program? We practice for all events including the sprints, mid-distance and long distance, all jumps, all throws, Hurdles, Racewalk, Pole Vault, and Steeplechase.
- When is practice? Practice will start in late May.AOC practices 4 times each week on Monday through Thursday from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Summer Track ends the last week of July.
- What does it cost? $210 for the 1st child and $65 each for the second and third child.
- How do I register my child for AOC’s Summer Program? Registration opens in mid-April. There will be a limit to the number of athletes we will take for the spring.
- Can my athlete also participate in their school track program? Yes, we do have some athletes that run both for their school and AOC.
- Does my child need to belong to AAU or USATF? Yes, a current USATF or AAU membership may be needed. Which one is determined at the beginning of the year.